Garbage & Recycling
Garbage schedule: GAD has released schedule changes for the upcoming holidays. As shown on their calendar, starting in 2019 – GAD will observe national holidays, and garbage pickup will run one day behind during a holiday week (for Onota Township, this means garbage may be picked up on Saturday instead of Friday).
Residential garbage is picked up each Friday morning. Your garbage should be out by 7 AM for pickup. Onota Township has a contract with Great American Disposal (GAD); they may be reached at (906) 774-9006. Please follow their regulations .
Onota Township has 2 large dumpsters on township property for residents living in locations without garbage pickup. These dumpsters are for household garbage only.
(1) Please respect the township property. We ask that you do not leave items such as furniture, large appliances, liquid or toxic waste, or construction debris. Disposing of these types of items is an added expense to all taxpayers, which could lead to an increase in millage for garbage, cancellation of the dumpster service, and other consequences.
(2) Follow the regulations from GAD.
(3) Please do not leave items sitting outside of the dumpsters. If you have furniture or appliances to dispose of, please see the ‘large items’ section below for options.
(4) If metal ropes and clips are over the dumpster lids: these are designed to keep bears and animals out. This keeps the property clean and keeps both people & animals safe. Please re-secure them when done using the dumpsters.
(5) When the dumpsters are full, please wait until they are empty again to add your trash. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping this service available.
(6) If you have used motor oil to dispose of, please see this list of used oil collection sites in Marquette and Alger counties. Please contact these locations beforehand to be sure they are still participating in the collection program. This information is provided as a resource only.
A roll-off dumpster event (large item disposal) for residents & landowners is held once per year. It is typically held at the O’Dovero gravel pit, just west of the Laughing Whitefish River bridge, on the south side of M28.
Current Year:Friday September 20 & Saturday September 21 2019
Please only bring items on days and times when workers are present. Items cannot be left on the property at any other time. If you would like to volunteer to help with this event, please leave a message with the township via phone (906 343 6535) or email (firstname.lastname@example.org). If you miss the event, please see “Wood Island Landfill” below for other options.
Location: O’Dovero gravel pit, just west of the Laughing Whitefish River bridge, on the south side of M28.
Directions: Drive past the gate toward the gravel pit. Please stop when you see the work group and listen to their directions. Tires typically go in a separate, smaller dumpster. All metal items & all appliances (refrigerators, freezers, stoves, A/C, etc) go in a separate, distant pile for scrap metal recycling. All other items may go in the large dumpsters unless workers direct you to do otherwise. See the lists below for examples of items you can or cannot bring.
Acceptable items include (but are not limited to): Tires (must be off wheel/rim), old toys or clothing, scrap metal, refrigerators or freezers, TV sets, old computers, furniture, bikes, toilets, sinks, water heaters, dry + empty metal drums, air conditioners, metal cabinets, appliances, mattresses & box springs, furniture, books & magazines, & many other household items.
Prohibited items: all liquids, refrigerators containing freon, construction or roofing material, paint cans, chemical products, gas or oil products, pesticides, industrial waste, asbestos, concrete or brick, fluorescent tubes, enclosed or sealed barrels & drums, engine coolants, fuel tanks, ashes, brush or yard waste, radioactive material. No hazardous waste permitted.
Wood Island Landfill
Large items may be brought to the Wood Island Landfill at your expense. Hours are currently M-F 8-4. The site is operated by Great American Disposal. It is located at E10081 on M28 near Wetmore. For more information, contact them at (906) 387-2646.
Alger County Recycling
Please read this important update on local recycling programs (Alger Community Recycling & North Country Disposal recycling) as of March 2018.
North Country Disposal is currently offering roadside pick-up recycling for Alger County residents. For details and/or to sign up, please call: Kenny @ North Country Disposal (906-249-4500). You may also review the flyer on the program and items they will accept (details may change as North Country disposal determines needs & improves efficiency).
Recycling for paper products is available on Tuesday afternoons (12 PM – 4 PM) in Munising. Starting in 2018, the volunteers that run this recycling program are asking that you pay a small fee of 25 cents per grocery-bag-sized container (to help with transportation costs). Location: Large trailer – next to the City of Munising sewage treatment plant & across from the paper mill. Paper, newspapers, & magazines are accepted; cardboard is not accepted. Learn more about Alger Community Recycling .