Garbage & Recycling
Residential garbage is picked up each Friday morning. Your garbage should be out by 6 AM for pickup. Onota Township has a contract with Great American Disposal (GAD); they may be reached at (906) 774-9006. Please follow their regulations .
Onota Township has 2 large dumpsters on township property for residents living in locations without garbage pickup. These dumpsters are for household garbage only.
(1) Please respect the township property. We ask that you do not leave items such as furniture, large appliances, liquid or toxic waste, or construction debris. Disposing of these types of items is an added expense to taxpayers. This problem may lead to an increased solid waste tax, cancellation of the dumpster service, and other consequences.
(2) Follow the regulations from GAD.
(3) Please do not leave items sitting outside of the dumpsters. If you have furniture or appliances to dispose of, please see the ‘large items’ section below for options.
(4) The metal ropes and clips over the dumpster lids are designed to keep bears and other animals out. This keeps the township property clean and keeps both people and animals safe. Please secure them when done using the dumpsters.
(5) If the dumpsters are completely full, please wait until they are empty again to add your trash. We appreciate your cooperation in keeping this service available.
(6) If you have used motor oil to dispose of, please see this list of used oil collection sites in Marquette and Alger counties. Please contact these locations beforehand to be sure they are still participating in the collection program. This information is provided as a resource only.
A roll-off dumpster event (large item disposal) for residents & landowners is held 1-2 times per year. It is typically held at the O’Dovero gravel pit, just west of the Laughing Whitefish River bridge, on the south side of M28.
Fall 2017: cancelled due to budget limitations
Saturday May 20 & Sunday May 21 from 10 am to 5 pm. Thank you to the residents who volunteered their time & effort to make this event happen!
Please only bring items on days and times when workers are present. Items may not be left on the property at any other time. If you would like to volunteer to help with this event, please leave a message with the township via phone (906 343 6535) or email (email@example.com). If you miss the event, please see “Wood Island Landfill” below for other options.
Location: O’Dovero gravel pit, just west of the Laughing Whitefish River bridge, on the south side of M28.
Directions: Drive past the gate toward the gravel pit. Please stop when you see the work group and listen to their directions. Tires typically go in a separate, smaller dumpster. All metal items & all appliances (refrigerators, freezers, stoves, A/C, etc) go in a separate, distant pile for scrap metal recycling. All other items may go in the large dumpsters unless workers direct you to do otherwise. See the lists below for examples of items you can or cannot bring.
Acceptable items include (but are not limited to): Tires (must be off wheel/rim), old toys or clothing, scrap metal, refrigerators or freezers, TV sets, old computers, furniture, bikes, toilets, sinks, water heaters, dry + empty metal drums, air conditioners, metal cabinets, appliances, mattresses & box springs, furniture, books & magazines, & many other household items.
Prohibited items: all liquids, construction or roofing material, paint cans, chemical products, gas or oil products, pesticides, industrial waste, asbestos, concrete or brick, fluorescent tubes, enclosed or sealed barrels & drums, engine coolants, fuel tanks, ashes, brush or yard waste, radioactive material. No hazardous waste permitted.
Wood Island Landfill
Large items may be brought to the Wood Island Landfill at your expense. Hours are currently M-F 8-4. The site is operated by Great American Disposal. It is located at E10081 on M28 near Wetmore. For more information, contact them at (906) 387-2646.
Alger County Recycling
Recycling for paper products is available on Tuesday afternoons (12 PM – 4 PM) in Munising. Location: Large trailer – next to the City of Munising sewage treatment plant & across from the paper mill. Paper, newspapers, & magazines are accepted; cardboard is not accepted. Learn more about Alger Community Recycling .